Warsaw School of Economics (1906-2006): A Work of Generations
 
More details
Hide details
Publish date: 2005-09-30
 
Gospodarka Narodowa 2005;202(9):81–96
ABSTRACT
In October 1906, at the initiative of August Zieliński, Private Commercial Courses for Men were launched in Warsaw, laying the groundwork for the Warsaw School of Economics (SGH). As the school celebrates its centennial today, its status and uninterrupted presence in the Polish school system, combined with its achievements for the Polish economy, are due to the many people linked with the school over the years. Prof. Bolesław Miklaszewski, the former longtime president of the school, contributed to its academic character and its Rakowiecka Street campus. Thanks to the efforts and courage of Prof. Edward Lipiński, the school could operate under Nazi occupation. Its postwar revival was due to academics such as Prof. Jerzy Loth and Prof. Stanisław Skrzywan. After a Marxist policy was imposed on the school, Professors Jan Drewnowski, Andrzej Grodek, Michał Kalecki, Oskar Lange, Edward Lipiński, Tadeusz Peche, Paweł Sulmicki, Aleksy Wakar and others tried to maintain its high scientific standards. After the fall of communism, the system transformation made it possible for the school to return to its original name in 1991, with fundamental structural and program reforms. Since then, the school has been made famous by its graduates involved in the transformation of the Polish economy, especially Prof. Leszek Balcerowicz. Observances of the school’s jubilee in 2005-2007 are an opportunity to assess the school’s achievements over the past century and look at contemporary challenges.
eISSN:2300-5238
ISSN:0867-0005